Bacteria invisible to the naked eye can cause serious inflammatory processes. Why is the rapid development of microorganisms viridans, how does this streptococcus affect human health? It is useful to know the symptoms of infectious lesions, methods for diagnosing and treating diseases.
What is streptococcus viridans
The simplest microorganisms are an important part of the microflora of the body, participate in the work of its systems. Streptococcus viridans (Viridans streptococcus) is not dangerous, it is considered opportunistic while a person is healthy. Bacteria are more often found in the oral cavity, but can be localized in organs:
- genitourinary system;
- gastrointestinal tract;
- respiratory system.
With a decrease in the body's defenses, active propagation of streptococci occurs. Viridans bacteria have such features:
- get to a person with food, during dental treatment, with surgical intervention;
- with a decrease in immunity, they cause infections that are characterized by a severe course;
- getting into the circulatory system, spread throughout the body, affect distant organs, cause hemolysis (destruction of blood cells).
Streptococci are resistant to environmental influences. Viridans bacteria characterize such properties:
- Microorganisms that are in the blood, sputum, can remain viable for several months.
- When exposed to temperature plus 60 degrees, the bacteria die in half an hour.
- Processing with disinfecting solutions destroys viridans after 15 minutes.
What diseases provokes
When, for various reasons, a sharp decrease in immunity occurs, streptococcus begins to multiply rapidly and spread throughout the body. The small viridans bacteria infect organ cells, causing serious illness. The patient may develop:
- myositis (inflammatory process of skeletal muscles);
- erysipelas infection;
- damage to joints, muscles;
- urethritis (inflammation of the urethra);
- soft tissue abscess;
- fasciitis (calcaneal spur);
- pyelonephritis, nephritis (inflammatory processes in the kidneys);
- carious tooth damage.
Streptococcus viridans in the throat can provoke pharyngitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the pharynx), tonsillitis (acute purulent lesion of the tonsils). When multiplying microorganisms, the appearance of such diseases is not excluded:
- periodontal disease;
- lymphadenitis (purulent inflammation of the lymph nodes);
- scarlet fever;
- swelling of the ears;
- streptoderma (purulent lesions of the skin);
- otitis media;
- meningitis (inflammation of the meninges);
- cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix);
- invasive infections after burns;
- postpartum sepsis.
Microorganisms can cause an acute form of infectious endocarditis. Streptococcus and staphylococcus viridans, settling on the valves of the heart valves, lead to their deformation. Patients in this situation may develop:
- microbial embolism of blood vessels (restriction of blood flow due to a decrease in their lumen), as a result - heart attack, stroke;
- abscess (purulent inflammation) of the brain;
- aneurysm (protrusion) of the arteries;
- heart failure;
- encephalopathy (brain damage).
Inflammatory processes are developing rapidly, so it is important when you see signs of the disease to seek help from doctors. Timely treatment will help to avoid dangerous consequences. With the spread of streptococcus viridans, an increase in temperature to subfebrile values (about 37.5 degrees) is observed. The following symptoms can speak about the beginning of the development of pathological processes:
- allergic skin rashes;
- decreased performance;
- general malaise;
- lack of appetite;
Infection of the body with streptococcus viridans is often accompanied by the appearance of signs of the disease, which depend on the location of the infection:
discomfort when swallowing
purulent plaque on tonsils
enlarged submandibular lymph nodes
Bacteria str. viridans cause serious infections in which the following clinical picture can be observed:
Integuments, mucous membranes
high fever, redness of the skin
signs of intoxication
The lymph nodes
increase in size
pain during urination
When streptococci enter the bloodstream and spread throughout the body, the development of dangerous pathologies that are accompanied by such symptoms is not excluded:
When a patient comes to the doctor with symptoms of infection, it is necessary to determine which pathogen caused the disease. To identify streptococcus, you can conduct an express test, which will give a result in a few minutes. It is important to make sure that the pathology provoked viridans. For this, such analyzes are carried out:
- Bacteriological culture - establishes the type of bacteria, their sensitivity to antibiotics.
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) - determines the pathogen by DNA particles.
To conduct a streptococcal viridans test, biomaterial for research is needed. It can be blood, urine, discharge from the genitals - it depends on the disease, the localization of infection. For the diagnosis of viridans by the method of bacterial inoculation, the material is taken:
- with cervicitis - a smear from the vagina;
- in case of lesions of the skin - tissue scraping;
- with symptoms of infections of the oral cavity - a smear from the mucous membrane of the larynx, pharynx, tonsils.
The right choice of biomaterial will help doctors make an accurate diagnosis. For research, it is necessary to take from the patient:
- in case of suspected sinusitis - a smear from the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity;
- with kidney pathologies - urine for analysis;
- for the diagnosis of respiratory diseases - bronchitis, pneumonia - sputum;
- with endocarditis, sepsis - blood from a vein.
After carrying out the tests, the doctor selects a treatment regimen. In the treatment of infections caused by streptococcus viridans, an integrated approach is needed. The doctor prescribes to patients:
- antibiotics of the penicillins, cephalosporins, sulfanilamides, macrolides group in order to eliminate harmful bacteria;
- immunomodulators - to increase local immunity - IRS-19, Imudon in the form of a spray for the throat, for oral administration - Ergoferon, Ingaverin;
- vitamin therapy;
- gargling with decoctions of herbs;
- digestible diet.
An important role in the treatment of infections caused by streptococcus viridans bacteria is the elimination of toxins from the body, the restoration of microflora. For this, the following activities are recommended:
- Drinking a large amount of liquid in the form of water, fruit drinks, juices, tea - up to three liters per day.
- Restoration of microflora, impaired by the use of antibacterial agents, Bifiform drugs, Linex.
- Reception of enterosorbent with antimicrobial, detoxification, bacteriostatic action - Atoxil drugs.
An infection caused by streptococcus viridans cannot be managed without the use of antibacterial drugs. For treatment, antibiotics of several groups are used. Bacteria are sensitive to penicillin drugs, therefore, such drugs are often prescribed:
If viridans bacteria affect the throat, a topical antibiotic in the form of an aerosol is used - Bioparox. When an infection of a penicillin group is observed in an infection caused by streptococcus in a patient, doctors prescribe:
- cephalosporins - Cephalexin, Cefazolin, Suprax;
- macrolides - Azithromycin, Erythromycin, Claritrosin;
- sulfonamides - Sulfadimidine, Sulfacetamide, Sulfalen.
For successful treatment, viridans require streptococci to be sensitive to antibiotics. Starting drugs include Ampicillin from the penicillin group, which has a wide spectrum of action against pathogens. According to the instructions, this tool is distinguished by:
- indications for use - bacterial infections of the skin, respiratory system, genitourinary system;
- dosage for adults - tablets up to 500 mg, 4 times a day, injections after 6 hours, the dose is prescribed individually.
The duration of treatment depends on the condition of the patient, is set by the doctor. The drug Ampicillin for infection, a call of streptococcus viridans, has features:
- contraindications for use - liver pathology, penicillin intolerance, lymphocytic leukemia;
- side effects - urticaria, nausea, candidiasis of the oral cavity, dysbiosis;
- special instructions - it is necessary to simultaneously use drugs to restore microflora.
In case of penicillin-type antibiotic intolerance, Suprax from the group of cephalosporins is used to treat infections caused by the streptococcus viridans bacterium. Capsules contain the active substance cefixime. The tool has the following characteristics:
- indications for use - urinary tract infections, nasopharynx;
- dosage - up to 400 mg once a day, the course of treatment is established individually;
- contraindications - hypersensitivity to penicillins, cephalosporins;
- side effects - diarrhea, nausea, dizziness.
Topical antibiotic Bioparox is prescribed to treat infection when viridans affects the throat. The drug is available in the form of an aerosol, contains the active substance fusafungin. The drug has the features:
- indications for use - diseases of the upper respiratory tract caused by gram-positive, gram-negative bacteria, including streptococci;
- dosage - 4 times a day, one injection;
- side effects - lacrimation, burning, cough;
- contraindications - intolerance to components, children under three years of age, bronchial asthma.
Streptococcal infection caused by the causative agent of viridans, differs rapidly, requires the mandatory use of antibacterial drugs. Treatment of diseases with the help of traditional medicine may become part of the treatment regimen. Streptococcus viridans from the pharynx can be eliminated by antiseptic treatment of the oral cavity. Decoctions made from chamomile flowers, calendula, eucalyptus leaves, a string are used to rinse, they help:
- destroy the pathogen;
- mechanically remove bacteria from the body.
To prepare the broth, you need to pour a spoon of any of these plants with a glass of boiling water and insist for an hour. Rinse your mouth with a warm solution several times a day. With damage to the kidneys, urinary system, it is useful to make a decoction of berries, blueberries. The composition has an antiseptic, immunostimulating effect, is taken orally in half a glass, three times a day. By prescription you need:
- Pour 0.5 liters of water into the pan.
- Put a spoonful of berries and dry blueberry leaves.
- Put in a water bath.
- Stand for 30 minutes.
- Insist hour.
In order to increase the body's defenses during infection, it is useful to drink propolis, dissolved in warm milk. A good effect is given by the use of formulations prepared from immunostimulating plants. Two tablespoons of raw materials need to be poured with boiling water (0.5 liters), kept under the lid for an hour. Take 100 ml in the morning and evening. For treatment, you can use such medicinal plants:
- Echinacea roots
- eleutherococcus leaves;
- rosehip berries.
Streptococcal infection in the absence of treatment provokes purulent inflammatory processes. Viridans bacteria, spreading through the bloodstream, can affect distant organs within a week. It is possible the development of such complications:
- acute inflammation of the middle ear;
- abscesses of internal organs - liver, kidneys;
- damage to lung tissue with the formation of purulent foci in them;
- inflammatory processes in the brain.
Streptococcus provokes the rapid spread of infection through the lymphatic system. In a short period of time, viridans microorganisms can cause such dangerous consequences:
- rheumatic heart disease;
- acute inflammation of the kidneys;
- dysfunction of the central nervous system;
- the spread of inflammation to the joints;
- purulent lesions of the tonsils;
- development of toxic shock.