Hearing is a gift of nature received by man at birth. Sometimes in everyday life you have to deal with health problems. Often we encounter stuffy ears. Unpleasant symptoms in the form of picking up sounds, like through an obstruction, sometimes pain, lead to general discomfort. At such moments, a logical question arises, if the ear was blocked, what should I do?
Let's try to figure out what causes the occurrence of unpleasant sensations in the ear and how to eliminate them.
Causes of congestion in the ear
There are a number of reasons contributing to the occurrence of stuffiness in the ears: it is possible to get rid of some on your own at home, from others - only with the help of medical personnel. The following factors will help you react correctly at the first sign of a stuffy ear and avoid complications:
- Runny nose or sinusitis. When a runny nose becomes chronic, it becomes sinusitis. When blowing, a pressure drop is created and the ear is blocked. Rinsing your nose with a weak saline solution (1 teaspoon per glass of warm water) up to 5 times a day, you will relieve internal swelling, and congestion, snapping in your ears will stop.
- Cold. In this condition, it is rarely possible to avoid a runny nose. Swelling of the nasopharynx leads to a decrease in hearing, there is the effect of pops in the ears. The easiest way to get rid of discomfort is to try to inflate a balloon, blow through a thin straw or simply pinch your nostrils with your fingers and try to exhale through your nose with an effort. If you do not deal with the treatment of colds, signs of ear congestion may recur.
- Otitis. A neglected form of inflammation of the middle ear leads to a purulent disease - otitis media, which is accompanied by severe pain. Treatment can only be prescribed by an otolaryngologist after an examination, sometimes a hospital is recommended. Warming with a compress, inserting a small piece of cotton wool moistened with boric alcohol into the auricle - these measures help relieve suffering, but they should only be done after consulting a doctor so as not to aggravate the situation.
- Sulfur cork. Such accumulations of earwax are best removed with the help of medical staff. The enhanced release of this substance, not removed in a timely manner with the help of an ear stick, can harden and tightly clog the ear canal. Washing the ear with special solutions under pressure from a large syringe helps to clear the passage. If you are prone to the appearance of sulfur plugs, after cleaning your ears, instill 2–3 drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide in order to prevent condensation of the sulfur that appears.
- Laying ears in an airplane. This occurs when altitude changes during flight. At the time of take-off and landing, the mouth should be kept ajar and swallowed as soon as you feel that your ears are starting to block. Try to make a deep yawn. Lollipops, which are designed to relieve symptoms of nausea, can also help in getting rid of stuffy ears. Absorption of sweets or chewing gum will help to avoid internal pressure drops.
- Water got in my ear. In the summer, especially when there are hot days, many people spend time near ponds. Water that has fallen deeper than the auricle, causing discomfort, flows out by tilting your head and shaking it a little. If such a situation arises while taking a shower, use the same recommendations.
Which specialist to contact
The treatment of problems associated with the ears is performed by a specialist otolaryngologist (ENT). If the ear hurts and is blocked, contact a doctor right away. Frequent ear plugs, sometimes for no reason, inflammatory processes can only be detected by a doctor after a thorough examination. The procedures recommended by him must be performed regularly, and medications taken only as directed. If your ear is blocked and it rings, and this happens often, be sure to seek help from a specialist to prevent the onset of the disease.
Ways to Eliminate Ear Congestion at Home
- When the ear is blocked but does not hurt, you should think about special gymnastics, which will help to avoid unpleasant symptoms in the future. With the lower jaw extended forward, rotate. Try to maximize the amplitude, but do the exercises carefully so as not to dislocate the jaw.
- Pinch your nose and try to exhale forcefully through it. A popping cotton inside the ear will mean that the pressure has returned to normal.
- The pain in the ear is relieved if a few drops of an alcoholic solution of boric acid are instilled into the external auditory meatus and laid on top with a piece of cotton wool to warm.
- Alcohol tincture of calendula and propolis will help reduce inflammation and destroy the infection. Dampened with a cotton swab, place in the auricle. To make the effect faster, nasal congestion and pain have passed, wrap your head in a warm scarf or scarf.
- When a sulfuric plug becomes the cause of congestion, try to get rid of it at home. Drop a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to soften the cork. After a few minutes, using the largest possible syringe without a needle, pour warm boiled water into the ear under pressure. Repeat the procedure several times until you are sure that you have managed to get rid of the sulfur plug.
- Water entering the ear also often causes discomfort. Jump by tilting your head to the side where stuffiness is felt, patting your auricle slightly.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil, add glycerin. Instill the resulting mixture, after 2-3 minutes, clean with an ear stick.
- Ear warming with a warm water heater. The procedure can last no more than 15 minutes.
- Dip a small piece of gauze or bandage in pre-melted butter and lay inside the auricle overnight.
- Intensive chewing or trying to yawn deeply will help relieve symptoms of congestion.
- Vasoconstrictor drops (Otrivin, Sanorin, Vibrocil) used in the treatment of the common cold can help with ear congestion. If you drip a few drops into each nostril and tilt your head, the drug drains along the back of the nasopharynx into the inner ear.
Learn in more detail what to do with ear attachment without pain.
What diseases provoke ear congestion
When using homemade recipes to eliminate discomfort, do not forget that a visit to a specialist should not be postponed if such symptoms occur repeatedly. Otherwise, you run the risk of complications that can lead to partial or complete hearing loss. Ear congestion can occur in the following conditions:
- The ongoing inflammatory process can lead to otitis media, when fluid accumulates in the middle ear and suppuration occurs, giving strong pain and high fever.
- When the pressure between the middle ear and the external is equal, then the person hears well, and nothing bothers him. Controls and maintains the right pressure of the Eustachian tube. Frequent pressure drops, congestion, lead to the onset of inflammation of this organ.
Find out what to do if your ear hurts inside.
ENT Video Tips: Why Your Ears Are Laying and What to Do About It
Detailed recommendations on what to do and what is strictly forbidden with stuffy ears, you will learn by watching the video below. An otolaryngologist is available in an understandable language to explain the causes of the symptoms of hearing loss in the most common situations, ranging from water ingress to improper use of the ear stick. By taking note of the helpful information and tips provided in the video, you can quickly help yourself or your loved ones with the first signs of stuffy ear.Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for independent treatment. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give recommendations for treatment based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.