If you happen to observe this symptom, do not rush to sound the alarm. Blood in semen in a man does not always indicate the presence of a serious disease. However, ignoring such phenomena is also not recommended. The right decision in such a situation would be to see a doctor. Timely assistance of specialists will prevent undesirable consequences. For those who prefer to know about possible health problems before they appear, it will be interesting to read the continuation of the article.
What is hematospermia?
With this term, medicine has indicated an admixture of blood in the semen of a man. The exact frequency of such cases cannot be calculated because ejaculation often occurs in the vagina. Hematospermia occurs in sexually mature men at any age. Until age 35, blood in the semen appears mainly for reasons associated with benign disorders. After 40 years, semen with blood is more dangerous - this may indicate the presence of serious disorders requiring immediate medical attention.
What is the danger of blood during ejaculation
The physiological processes leading to the appearance of hematospermia are not always truly serious. The insidiousness of this disease lies in the fact that many learn about it only after a few months. Some patients have not been aware of their problems for years. The longer the term, the more difficult it is to cope with the disease in the future. The most advanced cases often lead to erectile dysfunction. In view of this fact, it is recommended to have a general idea of the etiology of hematospermia and pay attention to other symptoms that often accompany it.
Causes of Blood in Semen
To find out what exactly causes the patient to bleed during ejaculation, you need to undergo a medical examination and take tests. The following diseases can cause hematospermia:
- stones in the prostate;
- chronic prostatitis;
- groin injuries;
- congestive prostatopathy;
- tumor diseases of the urethra;
- damage to the frenum of the penis;
- urethral stricture;
fragile blood vessels;
von Willebrand disease
Blood in the seminal fluid in men
Specialists in the field of urology share the general totality of cases of the manifestation of this disease into two main categories - false hematospermia and true. These varieties are characterized by characteristic features of the manifestation of blood clots in semen. In addition, they indicate various diseases due to which this symptom appears.
This term covers cases of hemorrhage during ejaculation that are associated with trauma to the urethra. In rare cases, blood in the semen appears as a result of inflammation of the prostate part of this organ. Such a picture may be supplemented by a change in the smell of the seed. Bloody admixture in semen with false hematospermia is scarlet and threadlike. Often men find fresh discharge on their underwear.
The causes of this kind of disease are always associated with inflammatory processes in the prostate gland, urea, or seminal vesicles. The blood in the sperm is not like scarlet clots. Semen becomes homogeneous and takes on a brown or dark red hue. True hematospermia is fraught with a much greater danger than false.
In addition to the most obvious sign - bloody discharge - hematospermia is often accompanied by other manifestations:
- pain during ejaculation and urination;
- swelling of the testicles and scrotum;
- spotting in the urine;
- back pain;
- swelling and tenderness of the inguinal region.
What to do if sperm with blood
If this phenomenon is one-time - there is no reason for panic. Sperm with a red tint may be the result of too long and intense copulation. If spotting is noticed systematically, you need to contact a urologist as soon as possible. To simplify the diagnosis and subsequent treatment of the disease, you need to remember as accurately as possible when the first symptoms of hematospermia appeared and describe them to the urologist. After consulting a doctor, strict adherence to all prescriptions and recommendations will be required.
Diagnosis of the disease
According to statistics, hematospermia is diagnosed several times less than it occurs. Many men are inclined to attribute bleeding to partners, and therefore close their eyes to the most obvious sign. For men who have encountered such phenomena, this information should be an occasion to pay attention to their health.
If a man turns to a urologist with complaints of sperm with blood, a general medical examination is performed. Specialists collect an anamnesis and prescribe a number of additional studies. The list of diagnostic measures depends on the available complaints and symptoms. Modern medicine provides high accuracy in determining the disease, so doctors almost always manage to promptly assign effective treatment to the patient and cope with the problem.
General blood analysis
This is the basic type of research, which is a count of all types of blood cells, determining their current parameters, establishing a white blood cell count, measuring hemoglobin levels and much more. Among many other parameters, a general blood test displays the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). This parameter helps determine if inflammatory processes are occurring. The sampling of material for research is carried out according to the standard scheme - on an empty stomach in the morning.
This analysis is more focused. In the diagnosis of hematospermia, his task is to identify diseases of the genital area. The doctor performs an initial examination, gives recommendations for preparing for the study and sets a date for the collection of material for analysis. On the appointed day, the clinic provides the patient with a comfortable room where no one will bother him. It is very important to fully collect a portion of semen with blood. The accuracy of the analysis depends on this. Specialists examine the blood in a spermogram under a microscope, and then give the patient a conclusion.
In some cases, a complete blood count and spermogram to accurately determine the disease is not enough. At the discretion of the doctor, the following studies may be prescribed to the patient:
- CT scan. The technique of layer-by-layer examination of body tissues, based on x-ray radiation. For the diagnosis of hematospermia is rarely prescribed due to low efficiency in most cases.
- Transrectal ultrasound. The most common non-invasive test method for determining a disease. It is highly accurate, harmless to the body and acceptable for the average Russian citizen cost.
- MRI A complex but safe technique that allows you to correctly identify the disease in a short time. For patients with hematospermia symptoms, magnetic resonance imaging is infrequently prescribed. The practice of diagnosing this disease has shown that transrectal ultrasound is almost as effective as an MRI, but it is much cheaper.
After a series of diagnostic measures, the urologist will accurately determine the disease and develop a strategy to combat it. Depending on the degree of neglect of the disease and the general condition of the patient, both conservative and surgical methods of treatment can be prescribed. Modern medicine has a wide arsenal of technical and pharmaceutical agents that can quickly cope with the disease, so objective reasons for panic will not appear. The only thing that is required from the patient is strict observance of the doctor's recommendations.
If the doctor does not see serious abnormalities that require surgery, the patient will be given a list of restrictions and prescriptions. To prevent the occurrence of complications and further disposal of blood in semen, abstinence from nicotine, alcohol and harmful food products will be required. Close and synthetic underwear will also have to be forgotten for a while. The therapeutic measures that will be prescribed by the doctor can be divided into three categories:
- The use of antibacterial agents. Modern pharmaceuticals have a number of drugs aimed at reducing the degree of obstruction in the urinary tract. These drugs can quickly and effectively cope with the disease.
- Taking diuretics. The funds belonging to this group will become an indispensable part of therapy if during the examination the patient will find pathologies of the urogenital system (inflammation of the ureters, bladder, urethra, vas deferens, etc.).
- Hygienic procedures. Doctors consider sanitary standards to be no less important part of treatment than taking certain drugs. In the fight against the disease, small portions of urine with blood clots may come out of the patient, so constant care will be required.
If the patient's condition is determined to be critical, the doctor will prescribe surgical treatment. The choice of surgical procedure always depends on the disease, due to which the blood appears in the semen. For each particular case, its own treatment tactics are provided:
- Varicose veins of the prostate gland. This disease often leads to problems like blood clots in semen. In the fight against it, laser coagulation demonstrates high efficiency.
- Bladder or prostate cancer. Oncological diseases are diagnosed by biopsy of the prostate. For suspected malignancy, this study is the most accurate. If the result is positive, the treatment methods are selected according to the principles of surgery in the field of oncology. As a rule, these are operations to remove the tumor.
- Stones in the prostate, vesiculitis, cyst. Most patients suffering from these diseases are prescribed transurethral resection.
How to treat blood in the ejaculate
The manifestations of hematospermia will help the urologist accurately determine the disease and develop an effective strategy for the patient to deal with it. Depending on the diagnosis, the doctor may indicate preparations of several pharmaceutical groups. The main objective of the treatment course will be to influence the cause of red sperm and pain in the groin area.
Antibiotics for prostatitis
Antibacterial drugs of several groups can be used to treat this disease:
- Aminoglycosides (Kanamycin, Gentamicin). This group of antibiotics is based on organic substances that are distinguished by activity against aerobic gram-negative bacteria. They destroy harmful microorganisms, preventing the spread of infectious diseases.
- Penicillins (Amoxiclav). Antimicrobial agents belonging to the category of β-lactam antibiotics. They have a powerful bactericidal effect.
- Macrolides (Azithromycin, Sumamed). A wide group of antimicrobial drugs. They are used to combat infectious diseases of the prostate caused by gram-positive bacteria. They are characterized by a low degree of toxicity.
- Cephalosporins (Ceftriaxone, Cefepim). A class of β-lactam antibiotics based on 7-aminocephalosporanic acid. They are highly resistant to β-lactamases. Due to this feature, cephalosporins have a powerful bactericidal effect.
- Tetracyclines (Doxycycline, Tetracycline). Broad-spectrum antibiotics. They are highly active in relation to most gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
- Fluoroquinolones (Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin). A group of drugs with a powerful antimicrobial effect. Widely used by doctors as antibacterial drugs in the fight against diseases of the prostate and bladder.
Drugs that reduce the degree of obstruction of the urinary tract with adenoma
To counteract the difficulty of urine outflow, doctors prescribe a special category of drugs - alpha-adrenergic blockers. They quickly remove obstruction and stop hematospermia. The following agents are considered the most common representatives of this group:
- Setegis. The drug is available in the form of tablets. It is taken once a day. The daily dose is determined by the attending physician. The action of Setegis is aimed at expanding the lumen of the urinary tract, prone to obstruction.
- Magurol. Blocks alpha adrenergic receptors and lowers blood pressure. It is used to relieve obstruction in prostate adenoma. Available in the form of tablets with a dosage of 1, 2 and 4 mg. You need to take the drug in the morning or in the evening. The daily rate is determined based on the severity of the disease.
- Tulosin. An effective tool to reduce functional disorders in the lower urinary system. The drug contains selective and competitive alpha-adrenergic blockers that help cope with obstruction. Release form - capsules. The dose of the drug and the duration of treatment are determined by the doctor, taking into account the reaction of the body to the drug and the severity of the symptoms of the disease.
Anti-inflammatory drugs for urethritis
Diseases associated with red semen often lead to inflammation of the walls of the urinary canal. Because of this, it is painful for a man to end and relieve a small need. To relieve inflammation from the urethra, doctors prescribe drugs of the appropriate action. These include:
- Etazole. An effective sulfanilamide agent with a low degree of toxicity and high antibacterial activity. Available in tablet form. It is taken orally 1 g from 4 to 6 times a day.
- Urosulfan. An increase in the active components of this drug in the urine provides an antibacterial effect on infectious agents. The degree of toxicity is minimal. Deposits of the breakdown products of the drug in the urinary tract are also not observed. The release form is 0.5 g tablets. The daily dose and duration of treatment are determined by the doctor.